Monday, February 13, 2012
Man wearing a pair of black Vibram FiveFingers...Image via WikipediaVibram Fivefingers are the only shoes I've ever seen (or owned!) that cup each toe in its own little pocket of material. They're kind of like gloves for your feet; or toe socks that are shoes. Children love to stop and stare at my feet whenever I wear them, and they draw plenty of surreptuous glances from adults too.

In fact, I wore my Vibrams - as I liked to call them, though perhaps Five Fingers would have been a better name - when I walked the West Highland Way in Scotland. As you can imagine, the Vibram shoes left distinctive marks in the Scottish mud, leading to rumours of a Bigfoot somewhere along the route. The stories were getting wilder and wilder, until someone finally noticed what I was wearing on my feet. I think everyone was a little disappointed to find out that there was no Bigfoot, and that it was only me.

There are different styles and colours of Vibram Five Finger shoes. I opted for the rather staid black ones, though I was tempted by the grey/orange combo. Sometimes it looked as if I'd just stepped in tar, because they mould well to the foot. Getting your toes into each individual toe hold can take a little getting used to, but in general it wasn't too hard.

One thing that I didn't expect is that you really can't use Vibram Fivefingers Classics in water. The water pulls the shoe right off your foot, as the material only covers your toes and heel. The Vibram Fivefingers Surge has a strap to hold it on your foot, while the Vibram Fivefingers KSO completely covers the foot in an elastic kind of way.

Many people are starting to see the benefits of barefoot running, and Vibram Fivefingers can make a good intermediate step. Barefoot runners often have to suffer from cuts and scratches from rubbish or natural debris and a pair of Classics can help protect the sole while allowing your body to get into a natural gait. Even if you don't like running the feeling of cobbles or grass beneath your feet is particularly nice.

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

OMNI V BLENDER


Blog Archive

About Me